Mark has worked on communications management and consulting projects with a range of clients over three decades including the Rockefeller Foundation, Eli Lilly, World Vision, Merck & Co., three heads of state, five governments, and the World Bank.
Mark’s long-standing specialist interest in the prevention of communicable diseases and in better reproductive health has led to projects with numerous companies and organisations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, and the William & Flora Hewlett Foundation. An excellent presenter and trainer, Mark also regularly delivers high-level presentations for clients at academic and policy-level meetings and trains company boards of directors.
Mark is an expert in the field of health and development-related marketing and communications work and is one of the founders of Baird’s CMC. Besides being an integral part of the firm, Mark is also the director of his own international communications and policy consultancy, Hyderus, which is based out of Wales.
From Mark’s first full-time job as an assistant program director with a CBS-affiliated news and talk radio station in Atlanta to today, it’s been quite the journey. Among other things, he has played a pivotal role in ensuring that the NHS provides combination therapy to people with HIV and AIDS, managed a crisis of the biggest-selling brand of nappies (baby diapers) in Europe, helped to introduce and then withdraw a blockbuster pharmaceutical product, conducted an interview with an AIDS charity through a window when the camera crew couldn’t muster up the courage to enter the building, advised senior Middle Eastern politicians from three countries, led a Hill & Knowlton team during a five-year environmental project for the Government of Botswana, worked as a freelance correspondent for outlets ranging from the Papua New Guinea Broadcasting Corporation to Independent Radio News (UK), set up the India office of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative, and co-founded Interscience, an agency specialising in coordinated international healthcare research and communications.
- Co-founder and co-chairman of Baird’s CMC
- CEO of Hyderus
- Health and development (both in industrialised and developing countries)
- Public relations
- Middle Eastern politics
- High-level working relationships with key decision and policy makers internationally
- Enjoyable and effective communications training for all levels of management
- Health communications knowledge and experience from more than 30 years work in this area
- Stakeholder mapping, engagement strategy and alliance building with civil society organisations in India for a major coalition of pharmaceutical companies
- A major market research project on a company’s corporate reputation in Brazil, China, India, Mexico, Russia, and the US
- A how-to guide on innovative patient communication for a company in a fiercely competitive marketplace
the Rockefeller Foundation, the International Osteoporosis Foundation, Unilever, PepsiCo, Eli Lilly, World Vision, Merck & Co., the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, and the William & Flora Hewlett Foundation