Dr. Mark Rittenberg has helped organizations create communities of excellence among their people and empowered individuals to become true leaders with the ability to actualize a vision — all through the power of communication. Dr. Rittenberg believes that important personal, social, and business problems can be effectively addressed using the Active Communicating methodology he developed — which draws upon the actor’s discipline of engaging, creative and effective communication.
In 1985, Professor Rittenberg was visiting Artist and Teaching Fellow at Harvard University where he conducted seminars in the Graduate School of Education and the Harvard Business School.
In 1993, Dr. Rittenberg, was awarded the J. William Fulbright Senior Scholar awarded by the United States Information Agency and traveled to Soweto, South Africa, where he served as Diversity Specialist in building black/white relationships in South African corporations and education institutions. He returned to South Africa in 1994, 1995, and 1996 in order to implement Active Communicating Educational Programs as a communication intervention to assist corporate and political leadership in the transition to a multicultural, democratic, non-racial South Africa. His doctorate in International and Multicultural Education is based on his work in South Africa.
He currently provides educational programs and executive coaching programs for international corporations including various Silicon Valley companies. In addition, he heads the annual Executive Coaching Institutes at UC Berkeley, Thailand, and Italy where he trains new Executive Coaches as well as executives who want to become more effective leaders by being trained in the arts and science of coaching.
- Twenty years experience as an associate at Baird’s CMC
- Member of the professional faculty of the Walter Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley, where he heads the Leadership Communications program. Received the Earl F. Cheit Award For Excellence In Teaching
- Founder and CEO of Berkeley Leadership Institute (BLI), Corporate Scenes and the founder of the Berkeley Executive Coaching Institute (BECI)
Areas of expertise:
- Developed the Active Communicating methodology — which draws upon the actor’s discipline of engaging, creative and effective communication.
- Dr. Rittenberg holds a Doctorate in International and Multicultural Education from the University of San Francisco.
- He also holds a Masters of Arts Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies in Education from San Francisco State and a Bachelor of Arts degree from University of California at Berkeley
Trains executive coaches and directs the Executive Coaching Institute through the University of California, Berkeley Executive Education.
Currently teaches expressive communication and presentation in Executive Education Programs at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, The Berlin School of Creative Leadership, Nanyang University, Singapore and has taught at the University of San Francisco, the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University, and the Olin School of Business at Washington University in St. Louis.
Sandia National Laboratory, Lockheed Martin Corporation, GAP Inc., Transnet Corporation (South Africa), Sasol Corporation (South Africa), Salesforce.com, Adobe, Facebook, Nexius, B-Yond, Genentech, Biorad, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals, AT&T, The Gap, Levi Strauss, Lockheed Martin, Sandia National Laboratories and the AT&T Corporation.