Denise has been working on qualitative and policy research engagements for decades and is an advocate for using the power of communication to bring about positive change and alleviate poverty in the world’s poorest communities. An inspirational leader, motivational speaker and talented writer, she’s worked with a wide range of UN agencies and major international donors as a communications trainer, mentor and advocate.
Denise is a specialist in social responsibility and issues management and has developed communications strategies for sensitive issues including genetically modified foods, AIDS vaccines, international funding for family planning in the developing world and addressing the health inequalities in developing nations.
In 2003 Denise created the Communication for Social Change Consortium. The Consortium is an international not for profit organisation committed to building the communication capacity of the world’s poor. Young people and behaviour change are one of Denise’s main concerns and the first project of the Consortium to work with teenagers in Zimbabwe and give them the confidence and skills to become advocates against the spread of HIV in their own communities.
Denise understands the challenges poverty presents those working in the developing world and offers those she works with insight into how the major donors and agencies work to relieve poverty. Before setting up and leading the Communication for Social Change Consortium she was Vice President of the Rockefeller Foundation until 2003, with responsibility for communicating the Foundation’s vision internationally and crafting its public policy and advocacy agendas in the US.
- High level experience of working with supra governmental agencies and funders
- Positive communication approaches to the issues facing the world’s poorest
- Powerful and inspiring presentations and effective training at all levels – from mentoring and coaching, to workshops and lectures.
- Associate at Baird’s CMC
- President at CFSC Communications for Social Change Consortium
- Alliance for Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
- the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Sanofi Pasteur
- World Bank
- Developed communications strategies for sensitive issues including genetically modified foods, AIDS vaccines, international funding for family planning and addressing the health inequalities in developing nations
- Help communities find ways to shift harmful attitudes and practices that limit social development
- Develop communication strategies, learning approaches and curricula to bring latest communication practice to critical social issues